Jul 1, 2013

The Debate of the Monks

One of the highlights of my Tibet trip is the debate between the monks in Sera Monastery after the climb up the Potala Palace. We went to the monastery after lunch to catch the debate which starts around 2pm. However we walked around the monastery first before going into the open courtyard for the debate.

Although I don't understand a single word of the debate but it was an eye opening to see so many monks debating at the courtyard in the monastery. Their debates consist of a person standing stamping his foot and shouting to another person who is seated on the ground, who in turn needs to answer the question posed by the person standing, at least that's what being told by my guide. The topics are mostly involved Buddhism. I don't mean to disrespect but I find it rather amusing to see monks jumping, clapping and shouting than to sit and chant all day long.







0 comments:

Post a Comment