Apr 27, 2014

Kiyomizudera Temple 清水寺, Kyoto

Kiyomizudera temple against the backdrop of sakura flowers
Kiyomizudera temple is one of my favourite temples, from all the temples I have visited while in Kyoto. Although there are some slight construction going on, the view from the top is stunning. And not forgetting seeing my husband had to drag his feet up the multiple stairs after being tortured by me from walking too much on the first day in Kyoto.

My original plan is actually to walk from Heian shrine to Yasaka shrine and Maruyama Park and then along the streets of Higashiyama before reaching Kiyomizudera temple. However, as I took pity on my husband who can't seemed to walk anymore from carrying my big ass camera and tripod, we decided to take a bus from Heian shrine to the temple and then walk to Yasaka Shrine from the temple.


Entrance to the temple




 It is in this temple, the famous love stones are located. I read about the love stones on internet before coming here but forgot to take note on which temple that the stones are located. The stones are placed 6 meters apart and according to legend, if you able to walk from one stone to another with your eyes closed, you will meet your other half. Since I already found mine, I decided not to try, hah. There was no one trying to do that while I was there but there was a big crowd at the shrine.



That's where the love stone is located 


The temple is famous for the wooden stage that juts out from the main hall

Beneath the temple, there is this place Otowa waterfall where three channel of waters falling from the top and I saw people queing up for a drink and wishing. Being a kiasu Malaysia, we took turn to line up and I went first while my hubby had to take photos of me drinking and washing my hand with the water. Frankly speaking, I have no idea what to do, but just watch and see what the others did before following them. Apparently, the water can grant wishes. Hmm.. now I have to recall what I had wished at that moment.....



View of Higashiyama street from the temple

To get to Kiyomizudera temple, we took the bus no. 100 from one of the stops in front of Heian shrine. If you are coming from Kyoto station, it's the same bus as well. There are 2 stops for the temple, Kiyomizu-michi or Gojozaka. Besides bus no. 100, you can take bus no. 206 to get here from Kyoto station. 

Entrance fee is 300 yen per person and opening time from 6am to 6pm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment