Oct 17, 2013

Abu Simbel, Egypt

Why I love Abu Simbel more than the Pyramids?
Abu Simbel is more exotic and it's been a place I wanted to see and go after watching the relocation of the temple due to the construction of the Aswan dam in National Geographic. It's more exotic because of the I had to sit through 4 hours of jeep accompany by military convoy from Cairo to Nubia coupled with waking up at 2am to do so. Very much exotic. Compare that to the Pyramid which is right in the middle of Cairo town. Not exotic.

What so special about Abu Simbel?
It's the temple constructed during of Ramsess the Great. It's also one of the location of filming for Mummy II, the gateway to the place where Imhotep challenge the Scorpian King. Ok..can't believe I am using movies to depict how great the place is.

Why you don't see much of my Egypt write up here?
Egypt trip is one of the trip that I got conned left, right, up and down. Non-stop cheating and even by my own tour guide. It's slightly better after we got away from Cairo and met with some really nice Indian siblings on the cruise. But it was nightmare when we tried to get from Egypt to Jordan via sea.

Temple of the Great Ramses

Small temple of Nefertari

Upclose of the four statues in front of the temple

the missing head and upper body

0 comments:

Post a Comment